Dallas Sports Powerhouse

 

 

 

 

 

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Observations from DKR- Game 3

So, another win against Iowa State is in the books. It was close through the 2nd quarter, but "Hank the Tank" rumbled through the pylons and the Horns never looked back. On a more interesting note, this was the first sporting event I have attended where weather has delayed the game. The concourse was like walking down Bourbon Street without the benefit of random flashings. Knowing that I was going to have to drive home in the rain, I wimped out and started the trek after the 3rd quarter. I made it all the way to Waco before the game resumed. That's some fine driving right there...

Bringing your child to a Horn game presents a significant problem: The fight song. As a student, I had no problem with the "Give 'em hell, Give 'em hell. Make 'em eat sh*t!" As a father, I am always cautious to amend it to the traditional "Go Horns Go!" So, as I am anticipating my changes, I hear Jr. yell "Make 'em eat sh*t!" with authority and bravado. A 3 1/2 hour drive back to Dallas wasn't enough time to convince him that we shouldn't tell mommy that part.

We sat in Section 34 this game and Section 37 the game versus North Texas. Section 34, by far, is a superior section despite being in the same general area. I had half of Godzillatron blocking the sun's wrathful glow. Instead of 2nd degree burns with the ability to make an omelet on my neck, I escaped with red cheeks. Overall, I estimate that I saved $40 on water purchases. Plus, the people next to us had 3 small children, so I had plenty of room to stretch out on the bleachers. When they started sitting in the aisles and shooting me daggers with their eyes, I just rolled over and flashed a "Hook 'em".

I am starting a campaign against car flags. In the past, even I have succumbed to the temptation of waving a piece of cloth in taunting fashion to let other people know that their school sucks compared to mine. Now, it's just silly. They only fly the correct direction the first week, cost $20 if you want it to at least match your school's colors and make a beating thump on the roof if you travel above 20 MPH. The only exception is Texas/ou weekend where at 27 years of age, I still paint my windshields letting others know exactly how I feel about that school up north.

All-in-all, it was a fun day. I am still worried about Colt's abilities and even more concerned about the resurgence of Nebraska coupled with the look of Oklahoma. As a homer, I am convinced that we will win both of these convincingly. But, as a college football fan, well, there's some work to do.

Let's face it: even Colorado put up a fight against Georgia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Main Menu

Home
Scott Boswell
JD Allen
Jason Patlan
Jarred Dunn

Links

Dallas Cowboys
Dallas Mavericks
Dallas Stars
Texas Rangers
Texas Longhorns
1310 The Ticket

Archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 January 2009 February 2009

Friends of the Program

MZone
Burnt Orange Nation