Dallas Sports Powerhouse

 

 

 

 

 

Friday, September 08, 2006

Postcard from Austin- 9/9/06

Example

I write this in somewhat of a haze from my quaint Motel 6 off the interstate. (Paying so much for a ticket really limits your ability to complain about the quantity of roaches) The trip down took a little longer than I anticipated. But, perhaps that's to be expected. After all, this is the first time a #1 ranked team has visited Austin in 56 years. Despite a mandatory work function at 10:00 AM on Sunday, I have convinced myself that attending the game and driving straight home will be a piece of cake. Hopefully, the trip home won't seem so long.

First impressions: Thus far, the Ohio State turn-out is somewhat impressive considering the distance between the two states. The orange outnumber the red 10 to 1. The whole city has a faint smell of seared animal flesh as spits and grills ignite in flame. The beers are already ice cold. We are more than 18 hours from game time and the party is already in full swing. This is what college football is all about.

Their fans: There are always a few in the crowd, but thus far the fans have been somewhat friendly. If you've ever been to Texas/ou weekend you know what I'm talking about: start off with the talk trash, claim how it is 40% hate/60% respect, and knock knuckles in a somewhat courteous manner. (I am past my college days of purposely bumping shoulders and throwing down. Plus going solo provides no one to bail me out of jail) I am somewhat surprised to see their nervous confidence level. But, perhaps I am trying to compensate for the fact that I am not totally convinced that Colt has the poise to get us through this one. I'm hoping that I will be proven wrong. Visions of Nebraska's run post Tommie Frazier dance in my head.

Their women: As a disclaimer, I am married. Therefore I do not look at other women. If I did, I would comment on how Texas' 3rd string women could scoreboard Ohio's starters.

Texas fans: For the most part, the actual game is a formality. It's a foregone conclusion that the Burnt Orange nation will wake up on Sunday as the #1 team in the nation. There are a few dissenters, but overall confidence is high. Walking down 6th street is a difficult task. Out of nowhere a crowd will form to chant "Texas Fight!" or "ou sucks!" If the team is half as fired up as their fans, this will be a good game. I have a few friends down in Austin that I am hanging out with but it always amazes me how much of a family the Texas faithful are. I don't think that I paid for food or a drink all day.

Now, I must get some sleep. College Gameday will be here bright and early. I will leave you with my prediction: 27-17 Texas.

Hook 'em!



If you're not fired up already, maybe this will do something for you.

(Thanks to PB at BON for the link)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Main Menu

Home
Scott Boswell
JD Allen
Jason Patlan
Jarred Dunn

Links

Dallas Cowboys
Dallas Mavericks
Dallas Stars
Texas Rangers
Texas Longhorns
1310 The Ticket

Archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 January 2009 February 2009

Friends of the Program

MZone
Burnt Orange Nation