Dallas Sports Powerhouse

 

 

 

 

 

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Happy Hell-o-weekend

Sorry about this weekend folks. It was my fault.

JD, his wife and my clan were going to see a movie on Saturday night and commit the cardinal sin of missing a Texas game. As misfortune would have it, the Mrs. became irritated with her flawless husband and plans got cancelled. The laws of marriage were against me and I wasn't in the greatest of moods. So, I went into the Texas game with a bad attitude...and it took a while for it to get better.

3 quarters to be exact.

I'm not sure what it is about TBS broadcast games that make the Longhorns feel that they need to give their fans heart attacks. Earlier this year Baylor was cruising through the first half before the Horns woke up. In 2004 and 2005, Vince Young had to lead a miracle comeback to soundly defeat OSU. So when Colt threw an interception that was returned for 6...my adrenaline starting kicking in.

"Self", I thought. "You need to get rid of this negative attitude because our boys need us." After 3 shirt changes, moving foam fingers to all 4 corners of the room and balancing on 1 leg, the Horns finally took the lead. If we had just stuck to plan and saw the dreaminess of Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, I believe that the disaster may have been avoided.

Pin this one on me. Better yet, pin it on my wife. (OK, we made up but she doesn't read this blog)

But, now I have to say it: Colt McCoy, you have my respect.

Did anyone realistically see Texas being able to fight adversity this year with a freshman QB? Once Superman flew to Nashville, Horns fans everywhere must have held their loved ones a little tighter. But Colt "effin" McCoy has shown the poise and composure reminiscent of "The Major". I just feel sorry for Jevan Snead as it will take an injury for anyone to point his way. I also dread the 2008 season where we will have John Brantley and Colt McCoy causing a controversy that only Simms and Applewhite can relate to. But, let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

As bad as they were, I forgive the Texas secondary. They are broken, battered and hobbling to the line of scrimmage. It's hard to play 11 straight games before earning a bye week. Luckily, the biggest pass test is behind us and they made the plays when they really needed to. The bottom line is that Texas won the points accumulated stat which counts the most.

As for the rest of the Big 12...

What happened guys? A Peterson-less Oklahoma beat Mizzou by double digits and a bad OSU team kicked the corn out of Nebraska? It is entirely possible that all 6 south teams make a bowl this year. So much for my shift in power theory.

But, perhaps the greatest non-Horn win this weekend was A&M over Baylor. The Aggies truly believe that they are one of the nation's elite right now. You couldn't ask for more as a Texas fan. They will be on cloud nine coming into Austin just to be reminded exactly who they are. Am I bad for enjoying this too much?

The only other significant downfall was USC's loss to Oregon...STATE. In the Pac-10, losing to a bad team is called an upset. In the SEC, this is called proof that the SEC is the toughest conference. (Sorry, couldn't resist...) The loss moves Texas up in the Coach's polls, but I'm not holding my breath for a crack at a title defense. Winning the Big 12 and having a good showing in a BCS bowl is more than I thought we could do at the beginning of the season.

But, don't ever count out Colt...make that Stallion...McCoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Main Menu

Home
Scott Boswell
JD Allen
Jason Patlan
Jarred Dunn

Links

Dallas Cowboys
Dallas Mavericks
Dallas Stars
Texas Rangers
Texas Longhorns
1310 The Ticket

Archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 January 2009 February 2009

Friends of the Program

MZone
Burnt Orange Nation