Dallas Sports Powerhouse

 

 

 

 

 

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Red River Shootout- Wednesday - Friday

It seems that I have fallen behind in my posting...

I am not a superstitious person unless it is a sporting event. I cannot tell you how many times I have neglected to wash shirts, socks, underwear or under arms in fear of the slightest wrong move jinxing my team. When I was younger, I actually used to believe that missing a quarter of football because the sermon ran long was the reason the Cowboys lost. I grew up in the 80's, so needless to say I was a very depressed child

This week, I have abstained from shaving my face in hopes that the magic will work in the same manner as it does for playoff hockey. Why you ask? Because before last year's romp I was too lazy to go to the store to buy razors despite a 5 day collection of stubble and Texas absolutely murdered Oklahoma. I truly believe that this had as much impact as the Great One taking snaps from the shotgun formation. My itchy wife repellent may be the ticket to sending the northern folks back across the Red River a little less cocky.

I have also employed a new tactic this year: Going with a friend from Norman and a friend who has no stake in the game to the Bash before the Clash. The three of us will make the long trek to the West End to talk our smack, drink our Zimas and get pissed at each other for missing the last train back to the Park 'n Ride. My theory is that one should not shift too much power in their favor. The Sooner fan cancels out my homerism and the neutral guy keeps it pure. It's sort of like the Father, Son and Holy Ghost without the religious connotations.

On game day, coupons will be squandered, lunches will be lost and new bonds will be made from being part of college football's best rivalry. At the end of the day, we're all just fans.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you my prediction...

Texas will win 33-17. Oklahoma's best receiver is taking the snaps, their defense has severe holes and Adrian Peterson will account for their only significant yardage. This will be a break out game for Selvin Young with a strong Jammal Charles to back him up. Sweed will get 80 yards and Ross will grab an interception. This will be the game that identifies the maturity of Colt McCoy.

So, there you have it fans. The game in a nutshell. Of course, if I'm wrong, I may try shaving my legs next season.

And not just for fun this time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, a comment from your partner-in-crime this weekend, the Sooner Fan!

I'm really hoping OU wins for more than the obvious reason, simply because I'd really like to see you shave your legs next year :)

See you tomorrow!
Kristina

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Main Menu

Home
Scott Boswell
JD Allen
Jason Patlan
Jarred Dunn

Links

Dallas Cowboys
Dallas Mavericks
Dallas Stars
Texas Rangers
Texas Longhorns
1310 The Ticket

Archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 January 2009 February 2009

Friends of the Program

MZone
Burnt Orange Nation